Who We Are
Malabar Resources (Malabar) is an independent Australian-owned resources company based in the Hunter Valley, New South Wales.
Malabar wholly owns the following assets:
- The Maxwell Underground Project exploration licence (EL 5460);
- The Spur Hill Underground Project exploration licence (EL 7429);
- The now closed Drayton Mine and the associated infrastructure re named 'Maxwell Infrastructure;
- The Maxwell Solar Farm; and
- The Agricultural properties including the Merton Vineyard.
At Malabar, we know that we must co-exist with the local community and other local industries and activities.
It was with this understanding and community feedback in mind that we committed to developing the Maxwell and Spur Hill Projects as underground mines.
We are planning on producing coals predominantly for the steel manufacturing industry. The coal seams within the project areas are high quality. Any coal not sold to the steel manufacturing industry will be premium quality thermal coal, suitable for use in High Efficiency, Low Emission (HELE) power plants.
Underground mining means significantly lower impacts than open-cut mines.
We have carefully placed the mine entry for the Maxwell Project in a valley 5km north of the Golden Highway. This means it cannot be seen from the Highway or the local horse studs.
We believe this very different approach addresses concerns that were raised in relation to past proposals for the area.